Tuesday 23 July 2013

Tomorrow - the promised land

“Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, ’cos you’re always a day away”. Is what the super-cute child star Annie sang, in her heart-melting voice, sitting at that window-sill of long ago.

Tomorrow, the day of gilded edges that will rise over me like a beautiful phoenix, giving new life to all my dreams and hopes. Tomorrow, dearly loved by Today; whom Today will protect and keep perfect.
I love you too, Tomorrow.

For the golden minutes and hours that you keep shining bright for me.
For the serene early mornings that you will unfold to me, the formidable will power that you will armour me with; for all the luminous words that you will call forth from my pen, for the amazing body that you safeguard for me.
You keep the pressures low and the spirits high. With you by my side, I know nothing too bad is going to happen – even if I permit myself a little too much trash on TV or a little too much fiction in the mornings.


You will sit with my kids and help them play with educational toys requiring adult assistance.
 You will give my pets their baths, a little ahead of time, and make sure they get their shots, right on time.
Knowing you to be the efficient home maker that you are, I can rely on you to get rid of all the clutter I have accumulated, both the ones with and without the emotional tags.
I know that even if I don’t, you will put loads of money in the bank for the good life that is, undoubtedly,   a part of my destiny. You will buy tickets for my long-awaited international trips. What’s more, you will also do the paper work – the passports, the id cards….

And after you’re done with those, you will go on, as a logical next step, to the other irritants – the bills, the overdue licenses, the swelling memorabilia on paper.
You, a master sculptor, will chisel away at my life-station induced irritability (my favourite excuse) and sculpt a gentle, disciplined, compassionate me. (Kindly include speed-reader and guitarist par excellence in your specs, as well.)

You will teach me political science, economics and history and furnish me (or is it burnish?) with a world-view worthy of my education.
I don’t even have to worry about the ‘imponderables’ like not enough water and too much plastic because of you. You, Miracle Maker, will keep the water from ever running out and recycle all that paper and plastic, no matter how much we churn out.  You will, I know for sure.  
And while you’re at it, you might as well find a way to deal with all the other problems too ’cos there are many, like me, out there who’re counting on you, you know.

You’re the boss, Tomorrow; the best, for sure.
You’re the captain who will steer my Life-ship, weather every storm and lead me home to... my promised land.               

No comments:

Post a Comment